I’m working on necklaces and earrings to post in my online store and to sell to local consignment shops. My goal for this year is to get at least one store to carry my jewelry. And of course, more would be better! With that goal in mind, I’ve been working on branding and did a couple of linocuts to stamp some cards. But this post is all about the destruction of a plate I found in a thrift store. Oh, what a joy it is to destroy…
Once home, I placed the plate into a leftover cardboard box before smashing it with a rubber mallet. (And because I didn’t want ceramic flying into my eyes, I used eye protection!) I made sure end up with a variety of sizes. The smaller pieces might become earrings, though I imagine also stringing a few together to make a necklace. The bigger pieces I’ll use as necklace pendants, and there are some that I’d like to make into bracelets, though I’m not sure how I want to do that yet.
Using this tutorial as a guide, I smoothed down the edges of the broken pieces and drilled holes for the jump rings. I followed the tutorial using a silicon carbide bit — those thick, blue ones, kind of like a sanding bit – for the edges, and found that it smoothed the edges down enough that I didn’t need to use the abrasive buff like the tutorial suggests.
The tutorial also suggests using the silicon carbide bit to drill the holes, but it took way too long. 30 minutes for just ONE HOLE! So I switched to the diamond drill bit for subsequent pieces and they were done in 5-10 minutes. It’s a lot easier to drill a small hole and then expand it using the sides of the diamond bit. But the tip wore down after a few pieces, so I’ll have to replace it or try a differently shaped bit.
I drilled the holes to be about 4mm away from the edge and I plan on using big jump rings, about 12mm, to hang the pendants from. Brass jump rings are on the way. They are bright brass, but I want to antique them somehow. I’m thinking lemon juice or vinegar to give it that tarnished look. I think the vintage look of the brass would pair well with the “cleanliness” of the English china.
I’m going crazy finding cool Dremel tutorials. I think my next project will be making these spoon pendants. I have to find a collection of old spoons. The ones in my drawer were hand-me-downs from my grandma, part of a set that she said she had planned to give to me as a wedding present. I’m not sure how happy she’d be if she found out I drilled into them!