- Monday, 3/28, 4-8pm: Meet the Brewer of Bruton Brewery at Hamilton’s. They’ll also have a limited amount of Bruton bottled beer for sale. More details on the brewer here.
- Wednesday, 3/30: It’s 30th on 30th! Check out great restaurants and bars from Normal Heights all the way down to South Park. Here are the specials going on.
- Wednesday, 3/30, 6-9pm: A little upset with the name, but whatever, it’s for a good cause. Register for Man Diego, a fundraiser for Mama’s Kitchen, hosted by True North Tavern on 30th Street. A tournament-style competition. $10 to watch, $60 to enter the competition. You need a team of 2, and it includes t-shirts, 2 complimentary drinks, and 2 faux ‘staches.
- Thursday, 3/31, 8:30pm: VAMP: Too Much Information at Whistle Stop.
- Thursday, 3/31: Alchemy’s big 2-year anniversary party
- Friday, 4/1, 11:30am: Happy April Fools! But this isn’t a prank. My favorite pizza and beer shop (and former employer), Blind Lady Ale House, is now open for lunch on Friday. While you’re there with a friend, try the Big Bland Blind Beer Challenge and try to figure out which crappy beers are which. And Alesmith X on cask for only $2 until 2pm, increasing by $1 every hour after that until 6pm.
- Saturday, 4/2, 8am-12pm: Grand Opening of the Golden Hill Certified Farmers Market. The market will be on B Street between 27th and 28th Streets. This is right in my neighborhood, AND they take EBT.
- Sunday, 4/3, 11am-6pm: San Diego Thread Show
Been really busy lately, so I apologize for the lack of a content post this last week. But here are some events, aggregated right here for your easy perusal!
- Tuesday, 3/22, 7-9pm: Crafty Conspiracy at Velvet Klaw Studio. Join the North Park Craft Mafia for their monthly crafty get together. RSVP for the event by emailing email@example.com.
- Wednesday, 3/23, 7-10pm: El Take It Easy will be hosting another quiz night, this time to benefit foster children. There is a suggested $10 donation at the door.
- Friday, 3/25: Alchemy will be celebrating their 2 year anniversary for a week, starting today. Green Flash brewer will be choosing all the taps all week, and new cocktails will be introduced every night.
- Saturday, 3/26, 6-10pm: Time to celebrate spring by walking around the South Park neighborhood. The Spring Walkabout is here! Lots of stores open late serving drinks and food. Check out the wares.
- Saturday, 3/26, 5-8pm: MIHO at Whistle Stop for a second night this week.
- Saturday, 3/26, 6-9pm: As part of the Walkabout, home ec. studio will have a “Stuffed Animal Hospital”, where kids can bring in their stuffed animals in need of repair and the Plush Doctors (kids from the home ec. studio after school program) can fix them up, for $2 a toy. All proceeds will go to tsunami and earthquake relief.
- Sunday, 3/27, 3-5pm: A free event at the Art Center Lofts as part of “One Book, One San Diego”. Local writers and poets will perform work on the themes of cultural identity, clashing identities, and discovering “home”.
- Sunday, 3/27, 6-9pm: Chef Jenn’s Vegan Cooking Class. $60/person to learn how to cook a full-course vegan feast. Price includes instruction, ingredients to cook at the class, a glass of wine, and tax.
- GZAGG is still trying to raise money to teach at a conference. But they have lowered their fundraising goal from $2000 to $1000.
What is GZAGG?
Grrrl Zines-A-Go-Go was started in 2002 by a small group of women to organize zine workshops and events. In the past, they’ve held zine picnics in Balboa Park, and more recently, they have set up a zine reading room at Lou’s Records in Encinitas, where people could browse zines. They also hold workshops at local schools and libraries around California.
What is ChipIn?
ChipIn is a website widget that lets organizations collect money, safely and securely. All contributions go directly to the organization’s PayPal account.
What is the event?
GZAGG needs $2000 by August to get themselves across the country to the New England Womens’ Herbal Conference, where they will be teaching about independent media and self-publishing. They will also learn about native plant harvesting, women’s health care, and natural medicine, to bring back to San Diego. (I’m a little wary of this “natural medicine”, but eh, the other stuff is great!)
The funds will be used for travel expenses, paying for accommodations, and other supplies.
Why should you chip in?
They are a tiny organization, run by people who are passionate about empowering others to create a voice for themselves through independent publishing.
Being unemployed, I could only afford to donate $10. I know a lot of people are in the same situation, but every little bit counts. Do you have an extra few cents in your PayPal account lying around? Why not donate it to a good cause?
Here is a selfish reason: The first 20 people who contribute $20 or more will receive a limited edition zine!
Where can you donate?
I’m glad you asked. Clicking on this link will take you to GZAGG’s ChipIn page, where you can donate, check their fundraising status, and get some news from the people running Grrrl Zines A-Go-Go.
- Monday, 2/28, 7-9pm: Knitting in the Heights at Twigg’s on Adams Ave., every 2nd & 4th Monday.
- Monday, 2/28, 7-11pm: Pamela Jaeger’s art at Blind Lady Ale House, with MIHO Gastrotruck providing food (until 9pm), and of course, BLAH will be providing the beer all night!
- Monday, 2/28: 30th on 30th is happening. Check out the blog post for the deals going on that day.
- Monday, 2/28, 6-9pm: Meet the publishers of Edible San Diego during the release party at Sea Rocket Bistro. Happy Hour pricing for attendees all night.
- Wednesday, 3/2, 9pm: Fuck Alt Comedy @ Whistle Stop. 4 comedians down from LA plus more from San Diego!
- Thursday, 3/3, 4-7pm: MIHO will be at Ballast Point’s Home Brew Mart in Linda Vista serving up some Abandon Ship Drunken Shrimp (+ their usual, I’m sure), and BP will be providing the beer.
- Saturday, 3/5, 1-8pm: Hamiltons is holding a fundraiser for Childhood Cancer research.
- Sunday, 3/6, 11:30am: Blind Lady Ale House will have Dogfish Head flights. 6 beers to try! Flight will start when they open at 11:30am until they run out.
- Sunday, 3/6, 5-9pm: Sea Rocket Bistro will be hosting a launch party for a short video promoting the San Diego Bike Commuter Discount Program. Get happy hour drink prices all night-long if you ride your bike there!